Part of the Paris postwar literary movement in the 1950s and a companion to Beat writers in Greenwich Village, Southern was also at the center of Swinging London in the 1960s and helped to change the style and substance of American films in the 1970s noted for his distinctive satirical style.

Several years ago, the family is talking at the dinner table and the subject of favorite movies arises.  And when asked what some of my favorite movies were, for some reason, I thought films that impacted me was the question. Eventually, I settled on Dr. Strangelove from my mis-spent youth.

Little did I know that this after dinner rapport was a set-up quiz to locate a Christmas present from the children.  On Christmas morning I opened a DVD of Dr. Strangelove.  I suppose there was a curious look on my face as I did not then even remember the dinner exchange.  “You said it was your favorite movie!,” the kids exclaimed.  Quick recovery, “Oh, yes, thanks.”

A few days later the family sat down for a movie night and choose to watch MY favorite. Well my early high school daughter made it about 15 minutes before asking, “You actually like this?”  She continued to watch for about 10 more minutes before remembering something in her room that needed attention.  My son a bit younger hung in for a while but soon he too drifted off.

I tried to explain that culturally and in my growing up this was an important film and how about the Peter Sellers, playing all those parts.  I am not sure I was convincing, so this is how I came to love the bomb and convince my family that I really was strange, though they still loved me.

Good thing, I didn’t mention Easy Rider.

Southern's dark and often absurdist style of satire helped to define the sensibilities of several generations of writers, readers, directors and film goers. He is credited by journalist Tom Wolfe as having invented New Journalism with the publication of "Twirling at Ole Miss" in Esquire in February 1963.


Southern's reputation was established with the publication of his comic novels Candy and The Magic Christian and through his gift for writing memorable film dialogue as evident in Dr. Strangelove, The Loved One, The Cincinnati Kid, and The Magic Christian. His work on Easy Rider helped create the independent film movement of the 1970s.  In the 1980s he wrote for Saturday Night Live

His screenwriting career began after The Magic Christian had been enthusiastically reviewed by The Times of London. The late comic actor Peter Sellers read the review, purchased the book and fell in love with it. He then bought a box of 100 and distributed them to friends at Christmas including director Stanley Kubrick.


 “Building Great Collections One Fine Book at a Time”
Check us out at www.BlindHorseBooks.com



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog